Best Betting Sites Greek: In-depth Review
Greek people are huge sports fans. Their admiration of sporting competitions and tournaments dates back to the ancient times, and it is no wonder as Greece is supposed to be a motherland of the Olympic games – one of the most eminent events in the sports universe. But what Greek punters adore even more than watching tournaments or playing games is sports betting. This niche is one of the most fast-growing in the country, however, there are certain barriers that betting sites in Greece have to overcome to lead their activity in the region.
Is online gambling legal for Greek punters? What taxes you need to pay for sports betting? How to find bookies that are the best for you? We will shed light on all these aspects in our in-depth review and will help you choose the top Greek bookmakers that offer the best odds and welcome bonus. But first, let’s get back in time and see how the Hellenic gaming has developed.
A little bit of history…
Greek gambling was literally shut down till 2011 before the OPAP (Greek Organisation of Football Prognostics) started regulating land based lotteries and online sports operators. In other words, OPAP holds a monopoly on the gambling segment in Greece as a sole state-owned organization. According to the Greek government, such monopoly helps protect players from unreputable bookmakers.
Since 2013, Greek betting companies received an opportunity to apply for a license from the Hellenic Gaming Commission (HGC) that serves as an independent authority to regulate and control both offline and online gambling companies within the Greek borders. Initially, only Greek-based operators could apply for a license, but then, international bookmakers also got a chance to legalize their activity throughout the country. Around 24 online betting operators received licenses from the government with a duration of 5 years. However, the huge taxes that bookies need to pay off (around €4 million, plus €1 million for casino operators) resulted in a vast amount of black bookmakers that flooded the gambling market.
According to the HGC, the organization plans to prolong a license duration on 7 years instead of 5. Still, the high taxes and constantly changing regulations scare off many international and Greek bookmakers to legalize their activities in the region. A lot of popular global sportsbooks provide their services for Greek punters via the mirror sites. Some users wonder if it is safe to bet on online sports via mirror platforms. Well, there is no one precise answer here. We know that the Greek government doesn’t charge gamblers for online sports betting, but at the same time, players cannot count on the authorities’ protection in case if some issues with an illegal bookmaker occur.
Guide to the trustworthy Greek betting sites
Due to the increasing demand for online betting, the Greek gambling market is full of young and pioneer betting companies that have to fight with one another to get the loyalty of new customers. Still, many bookmakers ignore strict regulations of the gaming commission and operate illegally in the area. It can be a warning sign for Greek punters to avoid ‘black bookies’, especially those that have previous reports of claims from the customers. We recommend all sports betting fans to deal only with reliable bookies that mind their good reputation. If you have doubts that any particular sportsbook is worth trusting, you can always rely on our guide to detect the best betting operators:
- License check: As mentioned above, the Greek betting arena is flooded with ‘black market’ bookmakers that operate in the country without a license from the HGC. In our reviews, we always check whether a bookie is legal in Greece and is licensed according to the government’s standards, and add only reliable operators with all rights reserved to the top list. If users’ safety is not in the first place for operators, we immediately say farewell to them.
- Positive user experience: This aspect is of the primary importance for us when we inspect Greek sports betting sites. Our aim is to ensure that punters will not feel disappointed and tricked when they place bets on betting websites. The most efficient way to check this is by reaching Greek players for feedback. That’s right! Fair feedback from real people will tell much more about the pitfalls of online bookmakers than all those fake admiring comments that they place on their sites. If we see that a number of negative reviews from Greek bettors significantly dominate over the bookie’s strong points, we will double-check whether this operator is worth wasting your time.
- Fair odds: Online sports is a tricky business, as you never know whether you will hit the bank or lose the last penny on bets. Fortunately, we know how to help you make a good profit on sports betting with a minimum risk to your wallet. We always monitor the Greek betting market to find the best betting operators that offer fair odds and reasonable conditions to wager your winning. If a bookie offers a lavish welcome bonus and then asks new customers to rollover the bonus at the sustainable ratio, we think that Greek bettors should be aware of suck things in advance, before they start playing on real money. The odds format, min deposit amount, and bet lines, as well as bonuses and promotions for active players, are the other integral points that we focus on while inspecting the Greece betting platforms.
- Available cash-out options: A cash-out option is another must-have of a credible betting site. Greek punters adore online betting and casino games. They can spend hours on the gambling sites, watching live streams of different sports events and hoping to hit the jackpot. But sometimes, it is impossible to avoid bad luck and make a winning forecast on a particular match or tournament. The cash-out function allows punters to return their bet fully or partially amid the ongoing event if they realize they have zero chances to win.
- Expert customer support: Eminent sports betting and online casino operators always have a high-score customer service that operates around the clock. Live chat is the fastest way to contact the customer support department and ask a question that interests you. Most bookmakers in Greece offer alternative measures to reach the help center, like email or phone. If users face any trouble during registration and account creation stage, or have questions about the affordable payment methods or free bets, they should always count on an expert assistance of the customer service. Otherwise, they will simply say goodbye to such online betting sites once and for all.
- Speedy payout: Nothing can compare to that bombshell moment when your bet wins, and you hit the bank. However, a joy from the victory may be ruined if you cannot withdraw your winning when you want to or if a bookie has a limited range of payment options, except for bank transfers. Speedy payouts and a diverse range of payment methods are the two major factors that detect a trusted betting site. Besides, not all money transactions are tax free in the European Union, and gambling in Greece has certain regulations in this matter (we will discuss them further in this article).
- Convenient mobile betting apps: For those, who cannot imagine their life without smartphones, leading Greek bookmakers offer well-designed mobile apps. The majority of top Greece betting sites have top-notch free mob applications that you can easily download from the App Store or Google Play. Mobile betting has significantly strengthened its position in the sports betting arena over the last years. Statistics indicate that 63% of Greek punters prefer mobile betting to the desktop alternative.
What are the Greek best betting sites?
Ok, now, when you know how to identify gambling operators that can be trusted from scammers, it is time to get acquainted with our top ranking of frontrunners that offer the best betting in Greece. During our unbiased reviews, we have monitored dozens of sports betting platforms to reveal their weak and strong points. We checked their welcome bonus and free bets offer, min deposit advantages, time limits, wagering requirements, and betting markets to find true brilliants in the gambling niche. This information helped us get a real picture of the online sports betting in Greece and come up with a list of the best Hellenic bookies:
Since the company’s launch in 2012, Stoiximan has become one of the most prosperous betting sites in Greece. The bookie operates under the Gambling Malta Limited jurisdiction. New bettors can count on a 100% welcome bonus on the first deposit (up to 200 euros). Users who actively use the company’s services participate in the loyalty program and receive regular discounts (free bets on the sportsbooks’ account and free spins and points on the casino account). User identification is required to pass registration on the portal (you will be asked to provide a scanned copy of your passport, ID, or drive license). New customers on Stoiximan are attracted by its safety and reliability, since the institution has a license to conduct its activities, as well as offers easy-to-use banking methods.
Greek bettors fall in love with Bwin since the sportsbook’s launch in 2006. The main advantages that regular users point on about the bookie include: great line on international and Greek sports; bountiful free bets and bonuses for loyal audience; pre-match and in-play options; convenience of depositing/withdrawing methods; in-time responses from the customer support team. Bwin keeps on actively developing on the local market, and every year, it pleases customers with new original features and unique offerings.
It is hard to find sports betting fans who have never heard about one of the leading bookmakers, William Hill. The operator can boast of its excellent bonus system, diverse bets choice, cash-out option, state-of-the-art interface, and easy-to-navigate mobile app. The company has an integrated online casino on the same website with an impressive assortment of engaging casino games at any preference. Multilingual customer support and a huge sports line have made the bookmaker an honored leader in the gambling arena.
22Bet operates under the Curacao license. New customers will be pleasantly surprised by more than 100 currencies and more than 50 languages available on the website. Bettors can count on rather high odds (one of the best on the market) for top events on the most popular sports, including football, volleyball, golf, Formula 1, and 40+ others. Newbies receive a 100% bonus on the first deposit that is valid for 7 days. In addition to traditional payment methods, the operator accepts cryptocurrencies (bitcoins). Users can bet on esports, live games, and visit the casino section. Great interface with an easy-to-navigate search bar, top championships, virtual sports, and recent statistics available on the homepage for the visitors’ comfort, make 22Bet stand out of the line amid the market competitors.
Novibet captivates all fans of online sports betting by its marvelous sports line and lush sign-up offers for newcomers. The bookie’s site with all rights reserved is super convenient to use due to an up-to-date design and layout features. Extra to sports betting, gamers can take advantage of the cybersport, live casino, and poker room. Among other key advantages, customers highlight: the presence of live chat, 24/7 support service, no restrictions on the withdrawal of funds, convenient mobile version, fruitful promotions, and lucrative offerings. Unsurprisingly that Novibet’s customer base is growing non-stop.
If you google the best betting sites in Greece, Bet365 will be on the list. The sportsbook is of high demand among Greek bettors due to the excellent odds even with a min deposit, expended line on traditional and esports, integrated in-play and pre-match features, and daily live streams on the global sporting events. The cash-out function is also available here. The bookmaker offers cherished bonuses to VIP punters (free bets, casino bonuses, promo codes). A well-crafted mobile version is a must-have for punters who can’t resist betting on the go.
Top Greek bookmakers for football fans
Football is undoubtedly one of the most popular games worldwide, and Greece is not an exception. Many betting sites in Greece, as well as land based betting shops offer a diverse range of leagues, domestic and global matches and competitions to bet on, both for amateur football fans and real pros. Stoiximan, 1XBet, and Bet 365 are of the highest demand among Hellenic football admirers. These betting gurus offer the best line of pre-match events, lightning payouts, and additional bonuses on football betting.
When betting on football events, make sure that sportsbooks fulfill the following requirements:
- Great pick for football wagering.
- Speedy payouts on real money winnings.
- HD live streaming on the domestic and international football events.
- Free bets with reasonable wagering limits.
- In-play option for ongoing events.
- Eye-candy mobile version with adaptivity to place bets en route.
Olympics betting sites popular in Greece
Greece is considered to be a birthplace of the eminent Olympic games, so no wonder that Olympics betting is so well-liked among local punters. Domestic bookies understand that it will be a crime not to integrate these options to their websites, as Greece and Olympics games are truly inseparable. As the most recognized global sport event in the world, the Olympics attract the attention of skilled bettors and casual fans. The best gambling providers that offer Olympics betting for customers in Greece are Betway, 10Bet Sports, Bovada, My Bookie, and BetOnline.
A key to the successful Olympics betting is to select sports that you are most familiar with. If you are a new one on the gambling niche, avoid sports with the low odds and poor bets offer. Take a moment to monitor the market to find out what sports events are more profitable for casual bettors, research the previous performance, and evaluate your chances to win. The best thing about the Olympics is a wide assortment of competitions to bet on. Make sure to sign up to the licensed Olympics betting websites in advance to get acquainted with their offerings, and we hope your lucky star will help you win big.
Payment system and taxes on Greek gambling
As we mentioned at the very beginning, the Greece government has established pretty sharp taxes for online casinos and sports betting platforms. The state monopoly allows betting companies to get a 5-year license on their services, but the sky-high taxes on gambling products stop the bet sites from applying for the HGC license. As a result, many illegal bookies have spread in the area. But what about casual sports bettors? Do they need to pay taxes on sports betting?
There are certain country restrictions on betting winnings that are subject to taxation. Thus, if you win less than $115 on sports bets, your winning is not taxable in Greece. If your winning exceeds $115, you will need to pay a 15% tax rate to the government. In case you hit the jackpot and win more than $600 on bets, a 20% tax pay is applicable. As for the payment system for depositing/withdrawing money on the bookmakers’ websites, Greek players have these options for choice: direct bank transfers, e wallets, visa mastercard. There is also a domestic payment service provider Viva that banged in popularity among Greeks in the recent years. Some providers accept cryptocurrencies (bitcoins) as a payment method. We always recommend looking through the available options from each particular operator to make sure that it has a mixed choice of depositing/withdrawing functions suitable to your needs.
Online betting has never been as popular among Greeks as it is now. It explains a huge boom on bookmakers that appeared on the market over the last decade. Sportsbooks take a lot of effort to engage local bettors and constantly enlarge their offerings to stay on top of the iGaming industry. In our objective reviews, we monitor bookies to find the ones with the best bonus offers, great sport lines, high-qualitative live streaming options, reasonable time limits and wagering requirements. When inspecting the betting sites for you, we always check real people’s comments to make sure that you will enjoy the best user experience on the bookie’s website. Currently, Greece has bombshell prospects of the online betting development in the country. We want you to move with the times and get your piece of cake from sports bets. We hope our guide will help you bet on the right sites and win big.
Is online betting legal in Greece?
- Yes, sports betting has been legalized in Greece since 2013. The Hellenic Gaming Commission serves as an independent authority that controls and regulates Greek bookmakers.
Should I pay taxes on sports betting?
- It depends on the size of your winning bet. If your winning is less than $115, you don’t have to pay taxes to the government. Winnings that exceed $115 are applicable with a 15% tax rate.
How can I find out that a sportsbook is safe for use?
- You can look through our best Greek sportsbooks guide that covers all necessary information about the leading bookies in the area, including their safety & security measures for customers. We always check whether an operator works in accordance with the Gambling Act and provides its activity in the region on a legal basis.
What does in-play betting mean?
- In-play betting allows users to place bets not just ahead of sporting events and tournaments, but also while the competition is still ongoing. Many sportsbooks also offer a cash-out option to customers that allows them to reverse an initial bet to eliminate the risk of an unsuccessful outcome.
What are the most popular sports to bet on in Greece?
- Greek bettors have diverse sports market with a great line on the top events. The most popular sports among local gamblers are football, volleyball, Formula 1, and horse racing, as well as cybersports and special events like Olympics games.